Friday, December 14, 2007

Being neighborly...

My husband and I realized when we moved that we had done a poor job of getting to know our neighbors. We wished we had built relationships sooner. So, we resolved to do better in our new location. We decided to learn the names of the families on our street/cul-de-sac two families at a time. Each Christmas we take something around and each year add two families. Last year we discovered that this is more time consuming than we realized because many people invite you inside to talk. Since this is our goal (to get to know them and hopefully someday have the opportunity to share Christ with them) we take all the time necessary with each family. As I prepare for this year I was struck with a thought about "being neighborly" and what it means to people. I've realized that being a good neighbor in urban America means keeping to yourself. Oh, you have to mow your lawn and rake your leaves and keep your house presentable but people aren't really interested in getting to know you. They work all day and go home tired to veg out in front of their TVs away from the world. When you step out to get to know them they are very guarded; not sure if you want to borrow something or bamboozle them in some way. When they see it is just your friendship you are offering they become sort of awkward and shy, not really sure what to do with you. I am loving the people I'm getting to know--and the waves as I seem them come home and short conversations by the mailbox. For some it takes effort--consistantly waving as you pass and yelling out hellos when you see them with their garbage cans but I'm willing to make the effort. Gotta plant that seed! Love your neighbor! Don't drive them crazy but don't stick to yourself either.

No comments: