Tuesday, October 16, 2007

TV consumption

I've lately been convicted (should I admit again) about my TV consumption. The sermon Sunday was in Ephesians--talking about the putting off the old man and on the new man. The pastor made a great point about sin creeping in by repeated exposure. I know, you're thinking that's not a real shocker, but his point was that it creeps in slowly through things that we aren't careful to discern. I know for me this just shouted--and be never mentioned TV by name. I had already struggled with this due to reading articles about brain development in young children etc. However, you know how it is, I've been sick and keeping up with my bubbly two year old and infant has been more than I could handle. I'm not saying that doesn't happen--and that sometimes a good ole Veggie Tale can't rescue you on those days but it is the getting trapped that strikes me. I find that it starts with only wholesome things (Veggie Tales, Wheel of Fortune, harmless junk) and then before I know it I'm watching "trash TV" with sitcoms and nonsense like that. SO, we turned it off this week. The silence is deafening--I wish I could say it is golden but sometimes I'm a bit overwhelmed. I feel that it is the right thing to do--and my children will reap the benefits of not becoming brain sucked boob tubes. Yesterday my daughter and I made a fort--awesome! Today my son and I had a beautiful cooing conversation. God is good. I'm not promising or suggesting that we will never watch a cartoon again but I am grateful to be reminded that it can be dangerous, that Satan is lurking, that I do need to guard my little treasures!

No comments: