Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas Traditions...

...everyone has them.  Some are widely shared and some are just sort of quirky.  I took some pictures of my parents making Christmas calzone.  We've made them for Christmas dinner for years now...and I can't remember why...it's a tradition unique to our family.
For those who don't know, a calzone is a baked or fried Italian turnover of pizza dough filled with vegetables, meat, or cheese.  Ours traditionally have ham, ricotta and mozzarella in them.  We dip them in marinara sauce....I think because baking sauce inside made them soggy and messed up the oven!  Funny...it just occurred to me that our family has no Italian roots, to my knowledge.  We're Dutch/German!  HAHAHA!  Oh well!
Anyway...these pictures make me sigh...I'm a "hand" person.  I think they tell so much about the person...and the hands of our loved one's we know best.  Upside down or sideways these are my Dad's hands...
...and these are my Mom's!  Traditions do grow and change...Ca-Lubby got a special calzone with NO CHEESE (due to his Dairy allergy) and DadE gets calzone's with no ricotta (due to his aversion to ricotta...tsk tsk).  It's still a fun and delicious tradition.

Do you have any unique Christmas traditions?  Do tell!!

2 comments:

Shonda said...

Since we travel so much during the holidays we like when it's just the 4 of us and no one else. We open our presents to each as a family. We usually do it on the 23rd since we travel on the 24th. But it's so nice to just have the 4 of us open the gifts to each other without everyone else around. Don't get me wrong I love our families very much just some time it gets too chaotic.

Charity said...

Our tradition growing up was for us kids to wait at the top or bottom of the stairs (depending on what home we were living in) and wait until my parents sang "O Come All Ye Faithful . . . " Then we could rush out to the living room and be greeted by the Christmas tree and our full Christmas Stockings!