Monday, March 1, 2010

Marriage Monday: Prayer...

It is poignant that prayer in marriage would be the topic for March. Loverbrains and I have recently recommitted to making prayer a priority in our marriage. Work, children, Winter and a host of other stresses have been working overtime to take our focus away. So, we knew that PRAYER was one way to not just say God was going to be first...but to literally put Him first.

In order to get in the amount of hours his job requires and still come home each evening to spend some quality time with his family, Loverbrains leaves for work VERY early. Although I am up...I'm barely moving. I find at such times that little things irritate me... I am quite short in stature and when my husband would hug me to pray before leaving (something I was so happy we were doing) I'd get downright grumpy about the kink in my neck. So, I got the kitchen stool...and now we pray in peace. Sounds dumb...but Satan uses all sorts of ridiculous things to thwart our attempts to obey God. By praying before he leaves for work...Loverbrains is literally putting me and our family before his job.

I have committed to praying for him at his work...and he has committed to praying for me in mine. This helps us to maintain a better perspective...and to truly value what the other does all day long. Something I feel has drastically changed his attitude and priorities is going to work early enough to take time to pray and read his Bible before he begins working. The workplace is crazy these days...most men are working longer hours, for less pay, and with constant fear of losing their jobs regardless of their abilities or performance. It is hard to remember in a stress-filled place...that God comes FIRST. I'm so proud of him for taking this step...to literally put God first at work.

I mentioned a while ago about the importance of prayer hooks in our marriage. These are places and things we attach to prayer time. My favorite is on Sunday mornings when we pray down the church road for our church, teachers, pastor and our children. I love how prayer hooks allow us to model prayer and its importance for our children.

We pray before meals. Recently, we were convicted to not pray in "vain repetitions" but really think about every word we say to God. During mealtimes we were soooo guilty of just rambling out the words...and now we try to really say what's in our hearts...for that meal time and that day.

The benefits of prayer in marriage... It helps us be a team...with God as the Captain!!

Ecc. 4:9-12, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."


I guess, my greatest prayer at this point is that we continue to be faithful to God. That we continue to recognize the importance of communicating with God together...and that we remember how it strengthens us to admit or weakness and need for God's grace each day.

To join Chrysalis for Marriage Monday...simply click the button below...

1st Monday Every Month at Chrysalis


Want this button?

11 comments:

sharon said...

What a lovely post! May God continue to uphold you as you make him priority.

I love the part about the kitchen stool.Lol. It's a really good idea and I might borrow it (I really hate those creak).

Thanks for stopping by my blog. God bless you and yours.

Julie Arduini said...

You raise a great point about praying during meals. It's easy to make that routine, so I really appreciated your writing about making the words count. Thank you for this post!

April Feagley said...

I love the concept of prayer hooks! Thank you for a wonderful post!

Joyfull said...

Wow! What a wonderful post. What a beautiful testimony of the priority that you give to prayer. I also love the idea of prayer hooks and a heart of thankfulness at meal times instead of vain repetitions. Thank you for sharing and being a blessing today.

tonya said...

We too pray for each others work. I have seen great growth in our businesses but also in each of us as a professional. Prayer changes things. :)
Great post!

Susannah said...

Wonderful post! I'm sure praying together before work is making a huge difference to both of you as you move through your day. As someone else wrote today, at the very least, I'm sure it brings peace.

I look forward to meeting you two in eternity! Your Christian marriage and family are a sweet aroma to the Lord...

Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday, Bobbi.

((Hugs))

Denise said...

Such a nice post.

GranthamLynn said...

What a great post. You and your husband are a great inspiration to those of us that are 'lacking' in "our" prayer time. Thanks for sharing the ways that incorporate prayer into your daily life 'together'. You have inspire me and many others I am sure.
Have a Blessed week.
Sherry

Carmel said...

This is great, Bobbi.

We've also recently done a "prayer jar" with the kids. We took different colored popsicle sticks (mostly b/c they looked prettier in the glass jar) : ) and wrote people and things to pray for on them. The kids draw sticks and we pray for them. I am trying to get them to realize all of the other things we should pray for on a regular basis, then just our "vain repetitions". : ) Our government and the President are even in there. The kids don't quite get that, but hey... we're trying. : )

Tami said...

Prayer helps you be a team. GREAT motivation, Bobbi. Thanks.

Beverly said...

Inspiring!