Monday, July 20, 2009

Constant Conversation...

Matthew 5:13-16 "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Lately, I've been struck by the interesting and important mundane discussions I have with my sweet boobahs. Emmy, in particular, is now talking about everything. This can be quite, er, interesting. I hesitate to say embarrassing...but it could be...

Today, for example, we were grocery shopping. A hurried lady, grabbed her cart, threw her cigarette on the ground, and pushed past us. My sweet Emmy said in her chirpy toddler voice, "That isn't good. Those go in the garbage! She needs to say scuze me." She was right but what attitude do I want her to have toward people? I said, "You're right but it'll be okay. She must be in a hurry." Sometimes, in line she tells people they need to wait their turn...especially when they look impatient. Most people smile and agree that we all have to wait our turn.

Innocence can be truthful but not necessarily kind. I want her to love people...no matter how they behave. This means that I must also love them.
1 Timothy 4:12, "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."
I figure as a Domestic Engineer my mission field is the grocery store, the library, the park and all the other seemingly mundane places I go with my kids and family. Am I acting out WWJD...to point my children towards Christ? Is the way I act and interact with the cashiers, librarians and moms going to point them towards Christ?

I'm not saying I have specific conversations with these people every week but I am building a relationship that will cause them to wonder why I'm different...to know I will pray for them...to know they can talk to me...and if that opportunity presents itself...I'm gonna be ready to share the hope that's in me!
1 Peter 3:15-16 "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

No comments: