Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hidden Hammers...

My adorable son has two hammers. They are currently hidden...up on the counter...between the mixer and tangerines...cuz...welll...he likes to use his hammers inappropriately!

I don't recall teaching him to hammer and bang PULVERIZE with these tools. As far as I know, he's never seen much hammering. The occasional picture hung...maybe.

He's "king of the smashing." He takes his favorite dried sticky tacky gummy blueberries...and smashes them into the carpet. They were removed from his possessions as a result of his making rice dust out of his rice chex cereal.

So, it makes me think. I never have to teach my children how to do wrong...how to sin. Don't know about you...but no child I've ever met (or adult for that matter) naturally does good and avoids wrong. I've never taught my children to lie either...yet they do. Hmmm?

It's not because God created human sinners. Humans were created good and called to communion with God but refused God's call. (Gen.3)

"Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me." Ps. 51:5

The currently hidden hammers make me think...and realize what an important job I have in teaching my children about their sinful state...and their need of a Savior.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

2 comments:

Shelley Fuge said...

I understand your post today. And I appreciate it. Thank you for your thoughts. You have such a sweet blog. Whenever I watch Max and Ruby with Caleb I think of your little ones. :)

techcat said...

Can I borrow your son and his hammers when I start making christmas sweets? I could use an expert for the nuts, chocolates and candy canes I need to crush.
:0)